With the stability that the TNGA-K platform brings, the all-new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid is set to build on the foundation of safety, comfort, quality, durability and reliability of its predecessors. Surpassing with its versatile capabilities, advanced technical details and the 16-valve DOHC VVT-iE VVT-i engine, the fourth-generation 7-seater SUV pursues a higher level of fluidity on the road for a smooth everyday driving experience.
Dubbed as the most fuel-efficient Highlander ever, it generates 248 hp and 239 Nm of maximum torque through a powerful 16-valve DOHC VVT-iE VVT-i engine, while its front motor produces 134kW and 270 Nm of torque with a Nickel-Metal Hydride battery. It sprints from 0-100 km/h in 8.3 seconds and reaches a top speed of 180 km/h with the help of the E-CVT (AWD-i) transmission.
Featuring greater aerodynamic efficiency and maximum practicality, the new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid offers better functionality with new levels of comfort and versatility for larger family adventures.
Special Features of the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
8-inch Toyota Touch 2 Audio system
Make all your journeys a pleasure as the new Toyota Highlander features the latest Toyota Touch 2 audio system that allows you to access and monitor a range of information related to your car through the clear 8-inch touchscreen.
It enables you to enjoy your favourite music in rich quality by connecting your mobile devices through Bluetooth or USB connections.
Comfortable Front Seats
Wrapped in premium perforated leather upholstery, enjoy a comfortable sitting position as the new Toyota Highlander features power-adjustable front seats that come with heating and ventilating function.
These front seats also include a driver memory package, lumbar support, and headrests with vertical adjustment.
Adding natural light and an incredible view on your weekend road trips, the power moonroof provides a wide-open interior feel as it comes with a power opening, tilt and slide type with auto-close and jam prevention.
Such a feature elevates every automotive experience to the next level of versatility and functionality.
20-inch Dark Grey Machined-face Alloy Wheels
Crafted to suit the adventurous personality of the Toyota Highlander, these 20-inch ten-spoke alloy wheels have been specially designed to be tough and durable. These wheels offer superior performance while giving this sporty SUV a masculine look.
Bi-Beam LED Projector Headlamps
The bi-beam LED projector headlamps are part of the standard safety features of this family SUV that switches between low and high beams to generate a bright light for excellent visibility at night.
It also reduces power consumption and includes an auto-levelling function and LED clearance lamp with daytime running lamps.
Smart Entry and System
Innovative and convenient, Toyota’s latest smart entry system allows you to accomplish many of the basic vehicle functions, such as locking and unlocking the doors and starting the engine.
It comes with a “recognize” technology that allows car control as long as the key is nearby the door handles.
Interior of the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
The Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid offers a new level of comfort, versatility and high functionality that creates a premium ambience.
Highlights include the 360° panoramic monitor, 8-inch Toyota Touch 2 audio system with Toyota Connected Services and heated and ventilated front seats.
3-Spoke Steering Wheel
Once you get behind the wheels, you are in full control without missing a beat. The heated 3-spoke leather steering wheel provides a comfortable yet firm grip and the right position, so you feel much more relaxed while driving.
It is also multifunctional as it includes touch control buttons for audio, phone, and cruise control as well as a paddle shifter.
60:40 Fold and Slide Second Row Seats
Expand the luggage compartment with the 60:40 fold and slide second-row seats of the new Toyota Highlander.
These seats provide ample space for your bulky luggage items once they are folded down and also allow convenient entry to the third-row cabin when slid down.
Triple-zone Climate Control
Enjoy maximum comfort during your trip with the fully automatic triple-zone air conditioning system.
Automatic adjustment of fan speed and temperature keeps you comfortable without the hassle of switching back and forth between controls. You can also individually adjust the temperature for the front and rear passengers, depending on their preferences.
Toyota Easy Flat System
With a single, simple lever operation, the third-row seats of the new Toyota Highlander can be folded down to create a perfectly flat load floor.
Such a feature allows every occupant to bring with them bulky or large items or even use it as a bed for sleeping when travelling on a long adventure.
The all-new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid offers both the driver and passengers a safe place to keep their beverages while on the road.
Located on the front and rear centre armrests, these cup holders keep your drinks safe and within reach so you can focus on the road.
Exterior of the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
With its sculpted new shape and chiselled lines, the new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid presents a more powerful yet modern, sophisticated stance.
It features 20-inch dark grey machined-face alloy wheels in a 10-spoke design and Bi-beam LED projector headlamps, allowing you to enjoy even greater family adventures.
Dark Grey Privacy Glass
The rear doors on this family SUV sport a convenient feature that protects the rear passengers from the direct heat of sunlight. It comes with a dark grey privacy glass with a UV cut to provide maximum protection against UVB rays.
Trimmed in chrome, the roof rails run the entire length of the vehicle roof. It serves as an attachment point for crossbars and other devices used to secure loads transported on the roof of the vehicle.
Rear Roof Spoiler
An aerodynamic accessory, the rear spoiler interrupts the flow of air and prevents the vehicle from lifting off. Doing this prevents the vehicle to lose traction on the road.
With the rearview camera equipped at the back of the car, reverse parking and manoeuvring are considerably more manageable and smoother.
It automatically activates and displays the vehicle’s area with dynamic guidelines on the central monitor once you engage the reverse gear.
Hill Start Assist Control
When the driver’s foot moves from the brake pedal to the accelerator, the Hill Start Assist helps prevent a vehicle stopped on an uphill or downhill grade from rolling backwards or forward. When the car is stopped on a grade, sensors alert the brake-system ECU.
Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid Specifications
- Triple Zone Front & Rear climate control air conditioning
- Rear passenger air conditioning with control panel
- Panoramic moonroof with power opening, tilt and slide type with auto-close and jam prevention
- Front & Rear power windows with auto up-down function & Jam prevention
- 3-spoke leather/heated steering wheel, with audio, telephone and Cruise Control buttons Paddle Shift
- Driver and passenger sun visors with vanity mirrors and illumination
- Front armrest, centre console integrated type
- Interior lighting package with front and rear reading lamps, luggage room light, footlights
- Rear window defogger and front side defroster ducts
- Inside door handles: satin chrome look
- Assist grips 4 overhead (2 front, 2 rear)
- Premium perforated leather seats and interior trim (black or graphite)
- Power adjustable front seats with driver memory and lumbar support
- Ventilated front seats
- Heated front seats (and outer rear 2nd row on Executive)
- Front and Rear headrests with vertical adjustment
- 7-seat configuration, 2nd-row seat fold and slide (60:40), 3rd-row seat fold, Toyota Easy Flat system
- 20” dark grey machined-face alloy wheels (10-spoke)
- Aluminium door scuff plates
- Exterior mirrors with memory, reverse gear tilting and puddle light function
- Bi-beam LED projector headlamps with LED Daytime Running Lights
- Headlamp washers
- Rear LED combination and brake lights
- Front fog lamps LED type, Rear fog lamp
- Dusk and Rain Sensor
- Rear dark grey privacy glass with UV cut
- Front windshield glass with sound-absorbing film
- Front intermittent windscreen wipers with timer and wash-wipe function
- Rear window wiper with intermittent function
- Chrome roof rails (silver on Active)
- Rear roof spoiler
- Temporary spare tyre
Comfort and Safety
- Smart Entry and Start System
- Electric Power Steering (EPS), rack & pinion
- Full range Intelligent Adaptive Cruise control with curve speed reduction Electronic parking brake with hold function
- Tilt & telescopic steering adjustment
- Digital rear view mirror, Electrochromatic rear view mirror
- Power back door (with kick sensor on Executive)
- Electronic fuel lid opener
- Headlamp levelling: manual, Headlamp warning & key reminder buzzer
- TPS Tyre Pressure Warning System
- ABS brakes with EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) & BA (Brake Assist)
- VSC Vehicle Stability Control
- A-TRC Traction Control
- Pre-Collison System(PCS) with the vehicle, pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with steering control
- Lane Trace Assist (LTA)
- Automatic High Beam
- HAC Hill Start Assist Control
- SRS two-stage airbags for driver and passenger, knee airbags for the driver, front side airbags, front & rear curtain shield airbags and also for 3rd-row seats
- Front and rear ventilated disc brakes
- Energy-absorbing steering column, energy-absorbing door material/roof rail construction, reinforced centre pillar and reinforced rear seatback against luggage intrusion
- Collapsible steering column & pedal support strut
- 3-point ELR seat belts for all seats (7 seats)
- Front seat belt pre-tensioners with force limiters
- Height adjustable front seat belts
- Seat belt reminder system (front & rear)
- Whiplash injury lessening concept seat (WIL) for driver and passenger
- Child protection rear door locks
- Electronic fuel cut system High-mounted stop lamp (LED type)
- CRS Isofix child restraint system (2)
Information and Multimedia
- 360* Panoramic View Monitor
- Rearview camera (with washer) – Back monitor with dynamic guidelines (static guidelines on Active)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
- Toyota Connected Services/ MyT app
- Toyota Touch 8” Display Audio audio system, Bluetooth®, USBffront & rear), AUX-in, 6 speakers, DAB
- Smartphone integration – Android Auto-/Apple CarPlay
- Head-Up Display 10.1
- 7” Colour TR multi-information screen
- Road Sign Assist
- Bluetooth* handsfree phone function
- Glove box with damper, lock and illumination
- Door pockets, front & rear
- Cup holders, front & rear and 3rd row
- Rear door storage boxes
- Driver and passenger seatback pockets
- Rear armrest (2nd-row seat) with integrated cup holders
- Tonneau cover
- Luggage hooks
Technical Data of the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
|Engine||16-Valve DOHC, VVT-iE (Intake), VVT-i (Exhaust)|
|Engine Capacity||2,487 cc|
|Max Output||248 hp (182 kW)|
|Max Torque||239 Nm / 4,300 – 4,500 rpm|
|Battery Type||Nickel-Metal Hydride|
|Top Speed||180 km/h (8.3s 0 – 100 km/h)|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||4,966 mm x 1,930 mm x 1,755 mm|
|Electric Front Motor output||134 kW|
|Electric Front Motor torque||270 Nm|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||65L|
Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid Reviews
Check out what others say about the new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid!
“…the Highlander is a good SUV.”
Read the full review by Cars US
“…the Highlander is a well-rounded and intelligently-priced competitor in the midsize three-row segment.”
Read the full review by Forbes
“…the Highlander serves its purpose as a versatile and easy-driving SUV.”
Read the full review by Motortrend
“…it’s a whopper at nearly five metres long, and can carry up to seven adults.”
Read the full review by Whatcar
Video Reviews of the new Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
2022 Toyota Highlander // Is this 2022 Good Enough to Stay #1??
2022 Toyota Highlander Limited – (Review + Tutorial)
History of Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid
The Toyota Highlander is a three-seat midsize crossover SUV produced by Toyota since 2000. It was announced at the New York International Auto Show in April 2000 and was launched in Japan in late 2000. In North America, the Highlander became one of the first car-based midsize SUVs or midsize crossovers in January 2001.
It is the crossover counterpart to the more rugged truck-based midsize 4Runner. In 2006, the Highlander became the brand’s best-selling SUV before being overtaken by the smaller RAV4. The first-generation Highlander shared a platform with the Lexus RX/Toyota Harrier XU30 series and featured seating for five and seven.
The hybrid powertrain was unveiled at the 2004 North American International Auto Show and introduced to the public in July 2005 as a 2006 model. It uses Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive technology in combination with the 3MZ- FE 3.3-litre V6 engine, offered in FWD or AWD trim levels.
In its second generation, both the Highlander and Highlander Hybrid were introduced at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show. Sales in the U.S. began in July, and those of the hybrid began in late September, which was not available for the Japanese market. The Highlander was made 3.8 inches longer and 3.3 inches wider, with about an inch more ground clearance, while the wheelbase was increased by three inches and the model became 2.8 inches taller.
Toyota unveiled the third-generation XU50 Highlander at the New York International Auto Show in March 2013. The brand planned to bring the vehicle to dealers in early 2014 and production began in December of the same year.
This version is longer and wider than the previous generation, and its design has changed from a boxy look to one similar to crossover SUVs. It seats a maximum of eight people instead of seven and has a sliding second-row entry that gives it 4.3 inches more width.
The fourth-generation Highlander, based on the GA-K platform, was unveiled in April 2019 at the New York International Auto Show. It went on sale in the United States in December 2019 for the 2020 model year. The cargo space behind the third row of seats was increased compared to the previous generation, and the hybrid model received a new-generation powertrain.
Since its launch, the Toyota Highlander has offered the best of both worlds with a car-like ride, plenty of interior space and easy off-road capability over the years. According to the 2021 sales chart, China is its largest market, followed by the United States for the hybrid model and Australia.
Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid FAQ
How many seats does the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid have?
The Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid has a seven seating capacity.
How many cc/power does the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid have?
The Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid has a 2,487 cc engine capacity and has a maximum output of 248 hp and 239 Nm of torque.
What is the top speed of the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid?
With an acceleration of 0 to 100km/h in 8.3 seconds, it can reach the top speed of 180 km/h.
What is its fuel efficiency?
The Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid has a fuel tank capacity of 65 litres and a fuel consumption of 23mpg with E-CVT (AWD-i) transmission.
Where can I view the Toyota Highlander 2.5 Excel Premium Hybrid?