Sometimes referred to as the G-Wagen, the new Mercedes-AMG G63 continues to showcase its legendary presence with its unparalleled off-road capability and refined old-school styling. Thanks to the 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 packed underneath its bonnet, the G63 offers absolute power for both on-road and off-road drive programs.
Its 577 horsepower and a maximum torque of 850 boasts an acceleration of 4.5 seconds, with a top speed of 220 km/h. The new G63 is more modernized with its AMG bodystyling and leaves some space for its iconic elements such as the old-looking indicators, exposed hinges on the doors, and a spare tire perfectly matched classic-looking but a straightforward flat back door.
Its exclusive interior matches the outside with its finest interior materials, promising exceptional comfort and security. With its AMG performance steering wheel, leather-covered interior dash, and high-technology setup, the G63 is confident to show off a new level of strength for the new era.
Mercedes-AMG G63 Special Features
The AMG bodystyling lends the G63 its straightforward personality, embodying the exclusive AMG-specific front aprons with cooling air intakes, body-coloured flared wheel arches, red-painted brake callipers, iconic radiator grille with AMG logo, and the striking two chrome-trimmed twin tailpipes.
Burmester Surround Sound System
Exclusively personalized for the G-Class, Germany’s high-end Burmester is also legendary with its pure surround sound.
Its high-performance speakers are capable of seamlessly balancing for ambient noise and can also be personally optimized. Helping to amplify your listening experience includes a 10-channel DSP amplifier with high dynamics, electronics and acoustic features perfectly tailored to the interior.
THERMOTRONIC Automatic Climate Control
A more personalized pleasing climate on board is delivered by the three climate styles and three climate zones selections.
The driver and front passenger can set the temperature, climate style and air distribution spending based on their personal preferences, while the third climate zone is integrated into the rear with separately adjustable airflow and temperature.
Through the numerous sensors, which record the intensity of sun rays and sense air quality and noxious gases, THERMOTRONIC also maintains the climate in every zone automatically steady at the favoured levels.
Touchpad with Controller
A smartly designed touchpad and a rotary knob on the centre console allows you to operate the inner dash touchscreen.
Its location and setup provide you with a more comfortable way of controlling what’s in front of you, especially when driving. With its high-tech multitouch gestures, a modern and playful way of managing its functions is possible by either touching, pinching to zoom, or swiping through the menus.
AMG Night Package
While enhancing the iconic look of the G63, the exterior styling package also doubles the protection for this legendary.
The grooved rear sill protector is made with stainless steel, while the running boards are both provided on the left and right side, giving the lesser possibility of damaging both the interior and exterior details.
The spare wheel that’s perfectly fitted at the back also comes with a cover with a three-dimensional Mercedes-Benz star.
Rear Seat Entertainment System
The new Mercedes-AMG G63 showcases a Rear Seat Entertainment System that features a diverse interface for external media, such as films, music, photos, and video games.
The 25.4 cm (10-inch) touchscreen is placed into the backrest slot to provide first-class entertainment with excellent image quality.
Mercedes-AMG G63 Interior
Classic Interior Design
Every corner displays a G-class iconic look, especially with its AMG-specific IWC-design analogue clock surrounded by the design black lacquer trim and a leather-covered dashboard.
The illuminated AMG door sill panels also match the AMG instrument cluster with dual bonded widescreen displays and design black DINAMICA microfibre roof lining. This classic look matches Mercedes’ comfort and luxury provided by the electrically adjustable front seats.
The electronically controlled glass sunroof offers a panoramic skyward view with both the front and rear-seat passengers.
This completely functioning sunroof has a large panel that provides greater airflow when it rotates or slid down into an open-air environment. Through the strong interior cover, you can monitor the amount of sunlight entering the cabin.
64-colour Ambient Lighting
Completing a perfect mood and ambience for your journey is the 64-colour ambient lighting. Its 64 colours provide individually-selectable static tones or dynamically-animated combined effects, letting you choose your desired atmosphere as you hit the road.
The ambient lighting also harmonizes with the modernistic HD displays, the generous sense of space inside, and select materials. Complementing the trim’s elegant lines inside, the indirect LED light goes one step ahead as it boasts exceptional colour schemes.
AMG Performance Steering Wheel
The new AMG Performance Steering Wheel combines ultimate functionality with seamless ergonomics. It comes as standard in Nappa leather with DINAMICA microfibre, boasting a stylish, bold design with a flat bottom and a heavily contoured rim.
This feature lessens the driver’s distraction as it comes with AMG steering buttons, allowing the driver to control the entire infotainment system without taking their hands off the steering wheel.
AMG Widescreen Cockpit Display
A dual bonded 12.3-inch widescreen display with a crisp and high-resolution screen gives you great convenience as it can automatically adjust your ambient light while also allowing you to customize other vehicle settings easily.
This widescreen display matches the instrument cluster allowing you to access its features through your touchpad controller and Touch Control buttons on the steering wheel.
Providing you with keyless entry and hands-free access, the Mercedes-Benz-innovated KEYLESS-GO allows you to unlock, start, and drive your G63 effortlessly.
By touching the exterior door handles, you can lock and unlock it and start the engine by stepping on the brake pedal. Starting your journey is easier by just pushing the engine start/stop button found on the dash.
Safety and Connectivity
One of the best modern safety features today is the automatically dimming rearview mirror, which carries the capability to dim the light that reflects from its surface.
This feature is also matched by other connectivity features, including the COMAND online, media interface cable kit, DAB digital radio tuner, and smartphone integration comprising Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Exterior of the Mercedes-AMG G63
MULTIBEAM LED Headlights
The MULTIBEAM LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus illuminates the road with precise and controlled light distribution depending on different light conditions, taking the lighting system to a higher level.
These high-performance headlamps are exceptionally bright with an anti-dazzle feature to keep you and oncoming drivers safe on the road.
22-inch AMG-forged Alloy Wheels
Practically stylish and rigid, the 22-inch AMG alloy wheels in cross-spoke design embody the rugged character of the Mercedes-AMG G-Class.
It matches the passionate performance of the SUV with its excellent handling and firm launch grip. The high-sheen finish indicates elegance and lasting high-quality performance.
The mirror package offers an improved vision for the driver with its exterior mirror on the driver’s side and rear-view mirror being infinitely auto-dimmable.
At the touch of a button, both of the exterior mirrors also fold in and out electrically, thus protecting the mirror housing from damage especially when parking.
Providing a convenient and automatic way to keep your windshield clear, especially in foul weather, the rain-sensing windscreen wipers automatically adjust the wiper frequency based on the amount of rainfall at any certain moment.
Through a sensor, the rear-window wiper will also automatically activate if the front wipers are switched on when the reverse has been shifted
Extreme Power Delivery
The 4.0-litre V8 Biturbo engine from Mercedes-AMG boasts extreme power delivery together with exceptionally controllable power output.
For a better response, the twin-scroll turbochargers are launched between the cylinder heads, allowing the G63 to deliver a maximum power of 577 horsepower and a maximum torque of 850 Nm.
ESP Trailer Stabilisation
An innovative assistance system, the ESP trailer stabilisation also comes with trailer coupling.
This ensures greater safety when pulling trailers as it utilizes the ESP sensors and counteracts critical fishtailing of the vehicle-trailer combination as soon as it develops. It can also detect movement about the vertical axis of the vehicle and instigates countermeasures through active braking interventions.
Parking and manoeuvring your massive G63 is more comfortable and safer for both its occupants and other car users with the integrated 360° camera.
The system provides a realistic all-round view through the four networked cameras. In a bird’s-eye view, the G63 and its surroundings can be seen on the media display, while the driver can also see potential
Mercedes-AMG G63 Specifications
- 12V sockets in the centre console, rear and load compartment
- Ambient lighting – 64 colours
- AMG door sill panels in brushed stainless steel, illuminated
- AMG instrument cluster with dual bonded 12.3” widescreen displays
- AMG-specific IWC-design analogue clock
- Burmester surround sound system
- Automatically dimming rear-view mirror
- Bluetooth interface for hands-free telephony
- COMAND Online
- Frameless interior mirror
- Trim – black piano lacquer
- DAB digital radio tuner
- Front seats – electrically adjustable with memory function
- KEYLESS-GO starting function
- Smartphone integration comprising
- Apple CarPlayTM and Android Auto
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
- Touchpad with controller
- AMG Performance steering wheel in Nappa leather 3-spoke design, with the flattened bottom section, 12 o’clock marking and touch control buttons and silver-coloured aluminium gearshift paddles
- AMG bodystyling –
- Exclusive Mercedes‐AMG G 63 front aprons with cooling air intakes
- AMG flared wheel arches in body colour
- AMG brake callipers painted red
- AMG-specific radiator grille with AMG logo
- AMG performance exhaust system – two chrome-trimmed twin tailpipes
- 360° camera
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- MIrror package
- Exterior Styling package –
- Rear sill protector in stainless steel, grooved
- Running boards left and right
- Spare wheel cover with three‐dimensional Mercedes-Benz star
- Differential locks (transfer case, front and rear axle)
- Electric sunroof
- Low range gear reduction
- MULTIBEAM LED headlights
- Parking-assistance PARKTRONIC
- Petrol particulate filter
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Taillights featuring LED technology
- Trailer coupling with ESP trailer stabilisation
- ‘V8 BITURBO’ lettering
- Four-wheel Electronic Traction System (4ETS)
- Active Brake Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE with HOLD function, Hill-Start Assist, priming and dry braking in the wet
- AMG high-performance braking system
- Airbags –
- Driver and front passenger
- Front side
- Window Bags
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Brake Assist (BAS)
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Driving Assistance package
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with Acceleration Skid Control (ASR)
- Headlamp Assist – automatic headlamp activation
- i-Size child seat attachment system for outer rear seats
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with DYNAMIC SELECT
- AMG SPEEDSHIFT 9G-TRONIC sports transmission with cruise control and variable speed limiter
- ECO start/stop function and four transmission modes: ‘C’ (Comfort), ‘S’ (Sport), S+ (Sport Plus) and ‘M’ (Manual)
- Permanent four-wheel drive with three 100% locking differentials
- Steering column – electrically adjustable for rake and reach, with automatic adjustment for entry/exit
- AMG Night Package
- 22” AMG alloy wheels – forged cross-spoke design, painted matt black
- Exterior mirror housings painted obsidian black
- Underguard painted in black
- Exterior protective strip with trim insert in black
- Spare wheel ring painted obsidian black
- Trim elements in the bumper painted obsidian black
Technical Data of Mercedes-AMG G63
|Engine Capacity||3,982 cc|
|Max Output||577 hp (430 kW) / 6,000 rpm|
|Max Torque||850 Nm / 2,500 – 3,500 rpm|
|Acceleration||4.5 s (0-100 km/h)|
|Top Speed||220 km/h|
|Transmission||AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 9G-TRONIC|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||4,873 mm x 2,186 mm x 1,969 mm|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||100 L|
Mercedes-AMG G63 Reviews
Check out what others say about the new Mercedes-AMG G63!
“The G63 is big, boxy, and very beautiful.”
Read full review by CNET
“Everything is easier in a G63, including entertaining your progeny with an impromptu trail run.”
Read full review by TheDrive USA